Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Food

If you don't already know, holidays in the Rhoads-Bender-LaGuardia household are always full of fantastic food. This weekend will not be an exception as Uncle Rick will be preparing lamb for the family and we will be preparing the sauce.

Another thing that you might not know about the Rhoads-Bender-LaGuardia clan is that there is always some sort of pasta served at every holiday. Typically it is spaghetti and meatballs (with some Italian sausage in there too for good measure) beacuse it helps feed the masses that inevitably show up unannounced (or even uninvited in some cases).

This year is no different and since Dave and I have started to become master sauce makers (and my meatballs are apparently to die for) we were volunteered for this service.

Dave's Grandma taught the both of us how to make sauce. Her's is the sauce that is always compared to and out of everyone in the family, ours has come the closest. This is something I'm quite proud of because I thought that spaghetti sauce (meatballs and sausage excluded) came out of a jar of Prego. I was happy to find out that this is not the case and that my childhood dislike of all things pasta really resided in that gross jar of imposter sauce.

In addition to the sauce, which we will start on Friday and serve on Sunday (yes, a good sauce really does take at least 2 days to cook, 3 is even better), I will be baking a Buttermilk Spice Cake. Last night I finally tried to make butter following this post and I think that it turned out well, but now I have buttermilk and had no idea what to do with it until now.

I'm going to try out this recipie by Emril Lagasse and hopefully it turns out. There have been times when the Food Network has let me down, but let's just pray that this is not one of those times. Luckily, even if it is a flop, we have the perk of Uncle Rick being in the tux business, which means that we always receive a plethora of fancy desserts from a local bakery that makes ridiculous cakes.

Fingers crossed that all goes well with our culinary exploits this weekend...I have no doubt that it will be fine, but sometimes you just never know =)

No comments:

Post a Comment