Friday, August 19, 2011

Tattoo Removal - Stage 2

So it has been about two and a half weeks since my last tattoo removal session. I kept meaning to update you on the fading process, but time slipped away from me.

After my second laser treatment with Otto at What Were You Inking I had to figure out a new way of covering my tattoo. If you are wondering why, it is because I discovered after the last treatment that I am highly allergic to all forms of adhesive. No matter what type of medical tape I used alongside with the gauze, I would end up with horrible welts wherever the tape had been. Fabric tape, paper tape, tape for sensitive skin...didn't matter...I ended up with nasty welts that lingered.

Eventually I asked my Aunt if my Uncle (my Dad's brother, who incidentally, has weird medical issues like me...we even share the same passion for pepper on breakfast foods and the same back injury) has issues with adhesive. Not strangely enough, he has the same sensitivity, and after 25 years of marriage, she was able to give me some suggestions on regular household items that would cover the treated area without inflaming it.

The solution: plastic wrap on Neosporin

INGENIUS!!!

When I returned home from my second treatment with Otto, which only lasted about 10 minutes and kind of hurt a bit more than the last one...mostly because my skin was already sensitive to the laser...I threw on some Neosporin, plastic wrap and an ice pack.

The healing process with this session was quite short compared to the first time. I had a few more scabs, but they came off a lot faster than last time. The fading is quite remarkable. I wish that the pictures actually did the fading justice because I think that we will be rid of this tattoo in no time at all!

I go in for my next treatment in a few weeks. I could go in next Friday, but we are planning a camping trip, so I would rather put off my treatment until after that.

As usual, I'll keep you updated on my progress. It is liberating to know that the painful reminder of some very tough times will be leaving my body shortly. I'm amazed at the process and can't wait to see the final results. Also, I can't wait until my dermatologist sees the results as well...I think that she'll be astounded!

Just as a reminder, this is what my tattoo originally looked like.


Progress a week or two after my first treatment...

What my tattoo looked like immediately after my second treatment...my apologies for the photo quality...Dave was at work and I wanted to get a picture before I went to bed.

This is the progress 2.5 weeks after my second treatment.

No comments:

Post a Comment